Friday, August 01, 2014

Firstest Worldest of Problems

Growing up, I always loved air-conditioning. Friends and family alike would remind me of the environmental and monetary costs, but what could I say? I enjoyed full-room refrigeration.

These days, eh, not so much. Maybe it's the guilt that comes with no longer having 'well at least I don't drive' as an excuse. Maybe it's time spent in Europe, and more time still spent with Europeans. Maybe it's that it just hasn't been all that hot this summer. But I'd sort of forgotten about a/c, and sort of stopped using it.

Which is a problem, it turns out. I've recently learned that the "leak" in my apartment is condensation caused by... drumroll please... not having the air conditioner on. And a fine a/c unit it must be. I've been officially instructed to keep it on at all times, windows closed, of course. (The leak hasn't stopped, but it's a puddle rather than a swimming pool.) As for the obvious, we don't pay extra for electricity. But even so.

2 comments:

David Schraub said...

I've also been very pro air-conditioning for my whole life, but so far I haven't missed it in my new apartment. It helps that the Berkeley summer temperature ranges from between 71 and 73 degrees, every day (with a light breeze).

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

That sounds lovely. At least we in NJ are experiencing that weather this summer. Super jealous of the food in Berkeley though.