Sunday, February 17, 2008

Le week-end

My computer, just over a year old, is still not turning on. My method has been to press the on button and hope. Jo tried some stuff that looked a bit more hopeful, but... nothing. Important school-related materials and pictures are for the most part saved; my attempt at writing fiction was not. Can't say whether that makes me want the NYU Computer Store to be able to recover my files or whether humanity is better off if they're gone.

In more pleasant news, the quest for housewares continues, successfully. We now have the materials to make cold-brewed iced coffee (of interest only to me, the American) and a second pan (so that if we want two different dinners, or one very complex one, we can accomplish either feat). That was the high point of the weekend. The low point was falling asleep in the middle of Querelle, a movie that was, from what I caught, on the 'art house' end of the art-house spectrum. The stress of the ailing computer and the hours this will add to an already-work-packed week apparently canceled out the drama of the gay sailors.

In other cinematic news, there is now a movie starring both Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. These two women, both of whom I've had the misfortune to see in person, are better-looking than the rest of us, in a completely objective, indisputable sense. Unless you are Natalia Vodianova, in which case you probably are doing something more glamorous than reading this blog. I feel like I've mentioned this before, but I (still) think the real advantage of bisexuality for women would be the ability to feel something other than jealousy when presented with female beauty of that caliber. No, beauty isn't everything, but I'd imagine that if asked to write a paper on 19th century French Jews, Ms. Portman would have no problems there either.

2 comments:

Miss Worldwide said...

Is "Querelle" the one with the gay sailors?

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

It did seem to be.