Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Chocolate

Well, they cloned a dog. I'm thinking the two longhaired chocolate-colored dachshunds I saw walking together today were just the result of traditional genetic engineering, aka breeding.

Speaking of chocolate-but-not chocolate, and of creepy takes on inter-group dating, I've been hearing a lot about this show, "Date My Mom," so I watched an episode. This one girl and her mother, both white, are competing with two other mother-daughter pairs to get the daughter a date (several dates?) with a young man who's black. The mother and daughter keep saying how the daughter "loves chocolate," meaning that she likes to date black men. The mother tells the guy this, the mother discusses this with her daughter, and at the end of the episode, the mother once more discusses her daughter's love of "chocolate." I mean, eww. He's not a flavor, any more than the mother and daughter are "wonder bread," or "mayonnaise." Wouldn't it have been enough to say that she's open to dating guys of all races, or better yet not saying anything about race to begin with? The guy didn't end up picking the "chocolate"-lover and her mother, in case you were concerned, but he himself referred to another contender who was multiracial as being many "flavors," so maybe that's the acceptable rhetoric of race in America these days. I guess that makes me an undercooked plain bagel.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Goes along with "melting pot" expression. We Americans like us some food metaphors.