Saturday, February 26, 2005

Fluffy Kerfuffle: Baguettes vs. Bagels

So I went to a really neat lunch/talk yesterday, on the state of Jewish studies in France, and on the Alliance Israelite Universelle in particular. I couldn't help but notice that, despite all women in attendence (myself included, bien sur) being on the small side, the only woman not to dip into the schmear was the super-chic French woman giving the talk. Now, despite having just eaten a muffin, I couldn't help but notice the spread of better-than-C-Shop bagels, clearly imported from some superior establishment, and the one I took "for later" ended up being very much "for now." Washed it down with a crisp and delightful diet Coke.

On an unrelated note, my friend Kate and I are perplexed: Why do sorority girls wear sweatpants in public so much more frequently than the unaffiliated? On this campus, sweatpants almost always seem to be paired with a bag proclaiming membership in Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma or AOPi. This is not an attempt to provoke a sorority vs. non-sorority showdown. I, for one, am just curious to know why this might be the case.

Now, the time has come to write the B.A.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frat brothers find sweat pants easier to take off (especially when drunk).

Anonymous said...

Can't we have a sorority/non-sorority showdown? That sounds more fun.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Anonymous: You might be onto something.

Paul: Get yer head out of the math book!

Matthew Yglesias: What would a sorority-non-sorority showdown look like? I can't imagine it would be anywhere as cool as the Yossi and Jagger snowball fight, but then again, I'm biased.