Monday, December 20, 2004

Cheese is great

I'm going to have to weigh in on this one: Heidi Bond and Will Baude are both correct* that "there is no such thing as too much cheese." The cheese-on-pasta scenario, in which cheese is being added, added, added, and yet there's still not enough, is one with which I am familiar, and when I cook pasta, I make sure to have about a 1:1 ratio of pasta to cheese. The worst, though, is when you're at a restaurant, and the waiter griding cheese on your pasta wants to know "when"--for me, there is no "when," but I feel obliged to halt the griding process before a) the waiter's arm falls off, b) the restaurant runs out of cheese, or c) there's grated cheese covering the entire table.

*One caveat: There's no such thing as too much cheese, but there is such a thing as too many types of cheese in one dish. A low point of my time at Chicago so far was cutting open a Bartlett Dining Commons calzone only to discover that, along with the usual mozzarella and tomato sauce, there was grated orange cheese, either cheddar or American, didn't taste it so I can't say which. This year, the pizza also sometimes has that same mozzarella-orange cheese blend, which is, in a very minor way, tragic.

No comments: