Friday, August 20, 2004

"Uh, I like boobs"

Via Oxblog:

The Weekly Standard now has a blog, which, as David Adesnik points out, is both on "Blogger" and on some silly subjects. But what I was most struck by was the gratuitous "look, we're straight" babe-worship, both silly and strangely appropriate for the publication:

From Jonathan V. Last:

"Obsessing over Svetlana Khorkina tonight, I caught NBC's Very Special Package on the Russian gymnast. "I know that people look at me," she says to the camera. "They watch me.""I have been great for a long time," she says. Speaking of these Olympics, she tells the NBC crew: "I want to win as badly as I want to mother my own child. . . . I will go there and get what belongs to me." And no, I'm not going to find the Russian Playboy pictures for you. That's why God invented Fleshbot. Cubby Broccoli's on line one--there's a '70s Bond movie missing its villain."

If the "Substandard" were a personal blog and not one associated with a publication, there'd be nothing strange about Last or any of the others putting up pictures of their celeb crushes. When Drezner does the same, it just doesn't seem like he's trying to prove something. But the coming from the folks who bring us the Standard, with its frequent opposition to gay marriage and generally serious tone, hot-girl worship comes across as an attempt to, well, prove something.

No comments: