Friday, July 02, 2004

Resistance


It's hot out, so I couldn't quite make it to the shoe repair place without stopping somewhere along the way. Barneys looked tempting and air conditioned, so I followed the surgically-altered hordes through the revolving doors on 61st and Madison.

First, since shoes were already on my mind, I went to the floor that promised to have them. There was a sale--many shoes once close to $1000 are now more like $300. While one would expect a student/magazine intern to buy designer shoes continuously, that is not the case. (Insert Carrie Bradshaw reference here--what is the connection between wanting to write for magazines and wanting nice shoes? Vicious cycle if there ever was one.)

I tried on the one pair that was least intimidatingly priced--a $140 pair of Robert Clergerie shoes that were something between a loafer and a clog, but with a back and a pointy toe. This looked as strange as it sounds, explaining how they ended up so reduced, but they fit and maybe Robert Clergerie knows something that I don't about how shoes should look. I felt like buying something ridiculous, I really did, but went with an iced cappuccino instead. This was probably the way to go.

No comments: