Sunday, July 11, 2004

A d-liteful encounter

For no particular reason I walked down Lexington to the Bloomingdales area today and was approached by a young woman who had chosen me, of all the many people on 62nd Street, to ask the following question:

"Are you from around here?"

Seemed fair. I am from the area, so the woman can't be faulted for being perceptive. So I answered in the affirmative.

"Do you know where I could get frozen yogurt?"

I pointed her to a candy and nuts shop that promised "frozen desserts."

"No," she said.

"No?"

"Tasti-d-lite."

"Oh, in that case, you could go to 77th and Lex, or about 70th and 3rd, but there might be one closer."

Without a word, she vanished into the crowd, with that determined look of a woman in search of fake iced cream.

My question is this: What exactly was it about me that made me, of all the people on that block, look like the sort of person who'd know where the nearest Tasti-d-lite was located?

No comments: